One of the hardest questions to answer is "What is Mechanical Engineering?".
Mechanical Engineering is a very broad and diverse field. Almost any company that employees engineers will employ some Mechancial Engineers.
A good place to start to learn about Mechanical Engineering is to visit asme.org. This is the web site of the American Society of Mechanical Engineering.
A good definition to start with is:
Mechanical Engineers design dynamic systems for society using science and math as it's foundation.
Mechanical Engineers, as well as other fields of engineering, can work in jobs in various job functions that include:
- Research - search for new knowledge
- Development - apply existing and emerging knowledge to develop new devices
- Design - apply the results of R & D and use experience to produce detailed designs
- Production - how to get designs manufactured
- Testing - test for reliability, repeatability, quality
- Manufacturing - machine parts and assemble the parts into components and systems
- Systems engineering - control, fluid - sturcture interaction